Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use

March 11th, 2007 by Rose DesRochers · 11 Comments

Since when did the word Vagina become an offensive word? Why is the vagina such a taboo subject? Vagina is the name of the female sex organ. The vagina performs the following functions: Providing a path for menstrual fluids to leave the body, sexual activity and giving birth.

Do we as a society teach our children that using the word vagina is wrong? The Vagina Monologues continues to remain the target of censorship conflicts. Three high school girls from Lewisboro, New York were suspended for using the word vagina at a public reading of the Vagina Monologue.

“Eve Ensler, who wrote ”The Vagina Monologues,” has accepted an invitation to speak Tuesday at a school theater, just before a meeting of the board of education, and will appear with the girls, said school board member Peter Breslin on Friday’s ”Today” show,” reported the Sun times.

Saskboy challenged every blogger to use the word “vagina” in a blog post title, and link to Debra’s site.

I would never scold my children for using the word vagina in reference to the female organ.

Do you allow your child to use the word vagina?

Were you ever scolded as a child for using the word vagina?

What are your thoughts on the anatomical term that generated such an uproar in New York that it resulted in three girls being suspended?

Tags: News
del.icio.us:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  digg:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  wists:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  simpy:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  blinklist:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  reddit:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  fark:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  blogmarks:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  Y!:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  magnolia:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use  stumbleupon:Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use

It will look like this: Vagina: The forbidden word that girls must not use

• Ian
    Wrote: Mar 11, 2007 at 5:24 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with vaginas. I like vaginas. I like to get close to them and spend time in their company. 😉

Ian

• Peg
    Wrote: Mar 11, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Honestly, I don’t think I ever used the word in conversation as a kid, but I can’t imagine ever being scolded by my mom, or anyone else for that matter, for using it.

And you already know what I think about this one!

• Viola Jaynes
    Wrote: Mar 11, 2007 at 7:55 pm

I have taught my little girl the word “vagina” because I wanted her to know that there is a proper adult name for it. I don’t think it’s a big deal at all and I think it is really silly that these girls were suspended. I don’t agree with that at all.

• Neal
    Wrote: Mar 11, 2007 at 8:32 pm

I don’t have a daughter, but to me the word vagina in my opinion refers to a certain portion of the female anatomy. It is no different than the word penis, referring to the male anatomy. The word is more dignified than it’s slang “pussy”, “cooter” “cunt” or “beaver”. These words are much more demeaning. I think the problem we have in using the word has to do with our own shyness, when it comes to talking abpit personal body parts. Because of our sensitivity to the word, we feel it’s wrong to say the word in public. I think the text of the conversation, determines how we perceive the word. If it is used in a meaningul discussion, about reproduction, healh issues, then it’s ok. Now calling someone a “vagina” is bad, but much better than calling them a “pussy”. The word should be used, so the slang doesn’t become the accepted term, which is demeaning to women.

• Carol
    Wrote: Mar 11, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Well, this is an interesting Post and maybe for one of my own WTF!’s on my Site. I cannot even believe that I am reading this in this day and age! What else are we supposed to call it? It is Censorship, pure and simple! These kids should be allowed back into School and whoever the idiot was that suspended them out to be fired! That’s My View of It!

Wrote: Mar 11, 2007 at 9:56 pm

Carol, I can not for the life of me understand it. Kids are taught how to put a condom on a banana, but they are discouraged from saying the word vagina?

Neal, I have never heard someone say “You are such a vagina. lol” To me bad words are the words that people use to hurt one another.

Viola, thank you for commenting and I don’t agree with it either.

Peg, yeap I do. Thanks for commenting.

Ian, I don’t think your wife has more than one vagina does she? You may want to reword your comment to “I don’t see anything wrong with the vagina. I like the vagina. I like to get close to it and spend time in it’s company.” If you don’t reword it you might be singing where am I going to live when I get home. lol

• Donald Sullivan
    Wrote: Mar 11, 2007 at 11:12 pm

I think girls should be encouraged to use vagina. It’s a heckuva lot better than some of the street terms like twat or snatch.

Rose says that Ian might be singing where am I going to live when I get home. If it were me, I know: I’d be saying, “move over, Rover. I’m spending the night with ya.”

Wrote: Mar 11, 2007 at 11:49 pm

Hey Donald, thanks for coming out of poetry land to comment on my blog and I could not agree with you more.

• Larry
    Wrote: Mar 12, 2007 at 1:14 am

🙂 Glad to see you’ve waded into Saskboy’s challenge to use the word vagina in your header. The disturbing fact of the initial incident was the girls auditioned to read but were told they could as long as they didn’t say the V-word. There’s lots of yadda yadda on my entry about it. While I don’t have children, my concerns also point to the parents of these girls. We used to have the greatest conversations around the family dinner table. That’s where my parents kept abreast of what the five of us kids were up to (well most of what we were up to anyway). It seems as if these honour roll students were almost set up for some reason or other. ‘Nuf said from the West Coast.

• Hazel
    Wrote: Mar 12, 2007 at 1:27 am

Proud Owner of A Vagina Badge, available on my About Page! :mrgreen:

• Rory
    Wrote: Mar 14, 2007 at 1:45 am

I love that Peg is up there at the top commenting on this one. It reminded me of the episode of King Of The Hill, in which Hank’s wife, Peggy, has to teach sex education to the youngsters in her class. She has difficulty saying this word – “vagina”, by the way, in case you’re thinking I just got out of saying it – so she builds herself up to it by saying “Happiness” in stages, gradually breaking it into a two-part word, “Happiness, hap-piness, ha-penis!” to give herself the courage to say the big one, the, er…V-one.