Make your own reusable menstrual pads

November 30th, 2007 by Rose DesRochers · 10 Comments

Why is it that I picture men reading this blog title and closing their browser? Come on now! I talk about everything else on this blog why not make it yourself menstrual pads?

Cloth Pads are a reusable, washable pad that you use over and over again. You can even make them with wings.

I’m sorry, but I just can’t believe that you can make reusable cloth menstrual pads. Then again, before tampons and disposable maxi pads came out in the 1930s, women used rags.

How to make reusable menstrual pads

You can find some patterns at washable menstrual towel and making your own cloth pads.

If you’re like me and can’t sew then no worries you can purchase cloth menstrual pads at gladrags and at Sckoon.

Geez if you think this is bizarre borntolove.com has suggestions for reusable tampons. Insert a baby sock, hu?

Did you know that the average woman will use 16,800 pads or tampons in her lifetime?

Check out the Disposable Pad or Tampon Cost Pad Calculator to see how many pads you have used and how much you have spent.

Cloth Pads

So ladies would you use these? Sound gross? Many women are using them. You wouldn’t think they would absorb as well?

For those thinking about the switch, I guess you’ll just have to turn your unused maxi pads into slippers.

Tags: Weird and Wacky News
del.icio.us:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  digg:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  wists:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  simpy:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  blinklist:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  reddit:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  fark:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  blogmarks:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  Y!:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  magnolia:Make your own reusable menstrual pads  stumbleupon:Make your own reusable menstrual pads

It will look like this: Make your own reusable menstrual pads

• Ebony
    Wrote: Nov 30, 2007 at 7:41 pm

wow…i just knew someone was going to invent this…even tho this will save hundreds of thousands of women tons of money…it’s just a little to much for me! why wont u just dispose of them…it seems like the sanitary thing to do…but that’s just me

• Mike Goad
    Wrote: Nov 30, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Gotta prove ya wrong. I did read it.

Our kids wore reusable diapers when they were babies. We only used disposable diapers when we were traveling. Today’s mothers might be hard pressed to find reusable diapers, if our grandkids are any indication.

Wrote: Nov 30, 2007 at 10:20 pm

Ebony, 12 billion pads and 7 million tampons pollute landfills annually just in the US.

Mike, cloth diapers are still around and every mom and dad should have some on back up. I did when my children were babies.

• Seamus
    Wrote: Dec 1, 2007 at 10:23 am

I well remember cloth diapers for my kids…and the washing (prolly used 1/2 cloth and 1/2 disposable). Pads couldn’t be any worse.

• toni
    Wrote: Dec 2, 2007 at 5:56 am

*reads*

Eek!

Nope. No way. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Eric “Speedccat Hollydale”
    Wrote: Dec 9, 2007 at 11:40 pm

I am with Mike… if it says men will run, I am attrated like a moth to flame!

Making slippers? Whwooooooaaaawwwwwwww! That’s just plain crazy. I like that ๐Ÿ™‚

• Amanda
    Wrote: Jan 17, 2008 at 10:31 am

Sounds like a good idea. Up until the 1920s or so, that’s what people used. Where do you think “rags” came from. It’s a great option for women that get rashes or yeast infections from the plastics in disposables. And, how can throw bloody stuff away, so that others have to handle it, be more sanitary than washing it out yourself?! After all, tampons and maxi pads are not sterile, they are just in sealed packaging to give the impression of being more sanitary.

• katiemckinna
    Wrote: May 28, 2008 at 1:26 am

I’m one of the women who is making the switch. I actually never liked pads (sticky tape, ouch!) or tampons (ouch and leak). I could go on… . The environmental benefit is nice, but mainly, reusables are more comfortable.

• Pthalo
    Wrote: Sep 14, 2008 at 2:49 am

I’ve recently made the switch. I get bad rashes from regular pads and tampons make my cramps worse. I really like the reusable ones, they’re really soft and comfortable. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sypy
    Wrote: Nov 7, 2008 at 2:51 am

Reusable pads are awesome! I use them at night time and during the say I use the keeper. It is a wonderful alternative to tampons and pades both and lasts 10 years. I’m currently on year 2 of reusable pads and the keeper and I’m never going back to disposable.