Panhandling for gas

August 7th, 2008 by Rose DesRochers · 6 Comments

The spike in oil prices are affecting everyone to some degree or another. I noticed gas is now at 127.9. The other day we were leaving Walmart and there stood two girls holding a sign that read “Out of gas.” Funny thing is I did not see their car parked anywhere.

I have had a few panhandlers ask me for money, but never in this unusual way. If gas prices keep rising, panhandling for gas money might just be the new “in thing.”

Have you been approached by someone for money for gas ? How are gas prices affecting you?

del.icio.us:Panhandling for gas  digg:Panhandling for gas  wists:Panhandling for gas  simpy:Panhandling for gas  blinklist:Panhandling for gas  reddit:Panhandling for gas  fark:Panhandling for gas  blogmarks:Panhandling for gas  Y!:Panhandling for gas  magnolia:Panhandling for gas  stumbleupon:Panhandling for gas

It will look like this: Panhandling for gas

• Karen
    Wrote: Aug 7, 2008 at 9:13 am

It cracks me up that you’re Canadian! I didn’t get the gas price at first, but then I remembered.

Here in Kansas it’s not a good scene. I went to my parents and got EXCITED to see that gas was “only” $3.59 a gallon. I remember about nine years ago it was .89 a gallon. My how time flies!

• Tammy
    Wrote: Aug 7, 2008 at 9:50 am

Nope, never been approached by someone needing money for gas.

As for how gas prices are affecting us, well, for now we are managing. If it gets much higher though it will be a different story. I work at a store so instead of going shopping once a week we pick up what we need at the end of my shift. (I don’t drive, so my boyfriend has to pick me up).

• Floyd
    Wrote: Aug 7, 2008 at 10:50 am

Same thing is going on here,matter of fact I was approached by someone panhandling for gas about 2 days ago.

• Mike Goad
    Wrote: Aug 7, 2008 at 11:27 am

Yes, we have been approached by someone panhandling for gas money.

We are coping just fine, since I am working and getting a pension, too. We’ll find out how we cope without the extra income next month when the contract job is over.

• Gary (aka old dude)
    Wrote: Aug 7, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Returning from Fluff N Fold this morning (Yes sports fans it that day of the week again), notice gas has now dropped to $4.19/gal , thats almost a .40 cent drop in a week—but I don’t expect to see it drop below $4.00—-which painful as that is, in the long run its a good thing as it makes other energy sources cost competitive and being cleaner (aka greener) more popular and their development encouraged over oil.

Gary (aka old dude)

• Daly
    Wrote: Aug 7, 2008 at 8:51 pm

I haven’t been approached by anyone yet for gas money. Our gas prices are around $4.00 USD per gallon right now.

I knew nothing about how gas and prices work in Canada but I did some research and conversions. Based on Vancouver’s average, they’re paying about $5.68 per gallon. Holy cow! 😯

I’m just really glad I’m driving a car that sips gas.