Thrift stores and sweater shaving

August 7th, 2008 by Rose DesRochers · 11 Comments

What are the ods of finding an item that went missing years ago in a thrift store?

Many years ago I purchased a fabric shaver. I used it every time I folded laundry practically, because I always found a sweater that needed a quick shave. After all sweaters are high maintenance. There’s nothing worse than your favorite sweater having pilling. The fabric shaver made it so easy to de-pill a sweater.

Anyhow, we had a relative stay over at the house one time and they were the last to use the shaver. After that night, we never saw our lint shaver again.

Just the other day my husband and I was discussing how we missed the electric lint shaver that we use to own. We’ve thrown away so many sweaters over the years since our lint shaver went missing.

Tonight we stop into Value Village and what do we find? We find an electric lint shaver identical to the one that went missing. There was some red lint still left in the shaver. The last time that ours was used, it was used on a red sweater. It was like being reunited with an old friend.

We are now once again the proud owners of a lint shaver. The moment I brought it into the house my son began shaving some of his sweaters. They are now left looking brand spanking new. No more little fuzzies.

My life is so exciting. Is this what blogging has become? I’m now subjecting my readers to posts about dryer balls and lint shavers! I can’t believe you’re still here with me. Bless your hearts!

So, do you shave your sweater?

del.icio.us:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  digg:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  wists:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  simpy:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  blinklist:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  reddit:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  fark:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  blogmarks:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  Y!:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  magnolia:Thrift stores and sweater shaving  stumbleupon:Thrift stores and sweater shaving

It will look like this: Thrift stores and sweater shaving

• boomergrl49
    Wrote: Aug 7, 2008 at 9:28 pm

I’ve never shaved a sweater! And I live in Seattle, where it’s not often cold enough (for me anyway) to wear a sweater.

• Mike Goad
    Wrote: Aug 7, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Trough thick and thin…, and hoping that you are doing much better than you were recently!

• Floyd
    Wrote: Aug 8, 2008 at 12:13 am

That is a great story,it very well could be the one that actually belonged to you that mysteriously turned up missing.

• Tammy
    Wrote: Aug 8, 2008 at 9:14 am

Well, it does say ‘daily life’ in your blog description.
    Dryer balls and lint shavers are a part of daily life.

• Diddums
    Wrote: Aug 8, 2008 at 10:08 am

I came across one of those during the Great Declutter, and was humming and hawing about it, which just shows how often I use mine (that is, not very often! Actually never!) But for some reason I decided to keep it.

Wrote: Aug 8, 2008 at 11:36 am

Er, no. I don’t shave my sweaters. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a sweater/link shaver. I think I’ve led a life of silent desparation. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

• Vered
    Wrote: Aug 8, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Ha. Life is exciting, isn’t it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I hardly ever wear sweaters. I like things that I can throw in the wash at the end of the day.

• Erin
    Wrote: Aug 9, 2008 at 7:26 pm

We don’t have a sweater shaver, but now I wish we did! I think my mom had one years ago, but it has since vanished. Maybe we should check the thrift stores for it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Kay Dennison
    Wrote: Aug 10, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I wish I could find a sweather shaver. Ohio winters are coooooollllllllldddddddd so sweaters are definitely a fact of life.

• Dano Macnamarrah
    Wrote: Aug 10, 2008 at 11:10 pm

I think it’s a great accomplishment if I manage to shave my legs more than once a month!

• Blue
    Wrote: Aug 13, 2008 at 8:14 am

I have a battery operated shaver that I’ve used on my sheets when they start to wear. I have only a small number of sweaters, mostly bought for my holiday in England in the dead of winter this year. I don’t generally get along well with sweaters; I have issues with the whole static electricity thing. I find, though, that if you eliminate the dryer in the equation you don’t have any pilling.