Puppy Mills- A life of hell

December 9th, 2008 by Rose DesRochers · 7 Comments

For the past two months I have put off blogging about this. However, this is an important issue that needs to be addressed. At this festive time of year there are many folks who rush out and purchase a puppy for their children.

Instead of purchasing a pet for Christmas wait and purchase after the holidays and before you purchase that puppy make sure that you know where that puppy is coming from. There are many folks who are unaware of the cruel industry known as puppy mills.

Puppy milling is a multimillion dollar business in Canada. Often the puppies that are sold from pet stores come from these puppy mills. In fact 90% of the pets sold in pet shops come from puppy mills. Quebec alone has a reputation as being the puppy mill capital of North America.

What is a puppy mill?

“A puppy mill is a business that mass-produces dogs for profit.”

Can you imagine living your entire life in a cage without any bit of human compassion? Then after being constantly bred and no longer useful, you are destroyed? This is the life of a female dog in a puppy mill.

On Dec 1st approximately 100 dogs and a cat were rescued from a puppy mill in Meaford Ontario by the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. It was reported that the rescue was one of the largest in OSPCA history.(Crews rescue 100 dogs from alleged Ont. puppy mill.)

Puppy mills are also advertise on websites and in news papers. Beware of any ad that lists several breeds of puppies for sale.

Visit http://www.hsicanada.ca/puppy_mills/, watch the video and learn more about the harsh conditions these dogs are subject to. Do your research went purchasing a puppy. If you suspect a puppy mill is operating in your area, don’t hesitate to report it to the properer authorities.

And lastly, I ask you to  please sign the “Stop Puppy Mills” pledge.

del.icio.us:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  digg:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  wists:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  simpy:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  blinklist:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  reddit:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  fark:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  blogmarks:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  Y!:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  magnolia:Puppy Mills- A life of hell  stumbleupon:Puppy Mills- A life of hell

It will look like this: Puppy Mills- A life of hell

• Bob
    Wrote: Dec 9, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Great post Rose, I signed the Pledge. 🙂

• Ching Ya
    Wrote: Dec 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm

This is unacceptable! 😡
    It’s enough with the crimes of human trafficking; even animals have to suffer from such irresponsible act of selfishness??

• Beth
    Wrote: Dec 10, 2008 at 9:46 am

I signed the pledge also, Rose. Puppy mills are shameful.

• Tammy
    Wrote: Dec 13, 2008 at 10:57 am

I signed the pledge.

• Erin
    Wrote: Dec 13, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Puppy mills are absolutely horrific. I have a very strict policy that any pets my family gets are rescues. One of our dogs is a rescued greyhound, our other dog was adopted from a no-kill shelter. Our cats were adopted from the same shelter.

Along with signing the pledge, adopting from or donating to no-kill shelters is very important.

I’m not sure what the numbers are here in Washington regarding puppy mills, but I do know that no-kill shelters are on the rise.

• hazel
    Wrote: Jan 26, 2009 at 11:32 am

I love this little doggie named Ladybird. Her owner found her on the side of a rural road barely breathing. She took her into the vet and the vet concluded she had been a breeder for a puppy mill. She was old by this point and they just tossed her out. Watching this dog learn to come out of her shell and become affectionate and trusting again was a real blessing. I still get all snotty just thinking about her lifetime in a cage. Oh btw Ladybird taught me you can teach an old dog new tricks. There’s hope for these dogs, if we can just get to them.

Thanks Rose for bringing this very serious topic up.

xo

• Don’tBuyFromPuppyMills!
    Wrote: Jul 22, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Stay away from PuppiesEverything.ca – the “Pet Store” in Stratford, ON on Corcoran Street.The owner will proudly take you on tours of their makeshift “pet store” telling the world “Yes, I am a puppy mill!”and their “quarantine” area. They think they’re in the animal business, what they’re NOT is qualfied in any veterinary sense to be keeping the ill ones in their back room instead of sending them to an animal clinic. They lie to their customers and let the dogs die from malnutrition/ being taken from their mothers too soon, and that’s only what happened to me after we put a downpayment on a dog and went back to get it. The owner’s wife is aggressive and violent and says the Perth SPCA “Are her best friends” where complaints being filed are concerned. Don’t buy their animals and for God’s sake, breeders, sell them privately and humanely! They’re famous for taking your *downpayment* and then accepting higher prices from other buyers. Suddenly, your dog is “dead” when you go in to get it!
    If you go into these places and the animals look unhealthy, SPCA says to call them, that they aren’t allowed to go in without *cause*. But if SPCA is the “best friend” of the perpetrators, then don’t expect anyone to look after the animals’ health and welfare!
    What I have is a heartbroken kid who wanted to work to buy a puppy who has been devastated by this unprofessional dump’s cruelty and desperation for money!