Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography

March 20th, 2009 by Rose DesRochers · 12 Comments

I enjoy taking photos. It’s not a profession that I would like to get into or anything. It’s more a less just a hobby of mine.

If you are an amateur photographer you have likely seen the following ad that reads:

“Free Photo Contest
Over 10, 000 in prices
Enter online now”

Inviting advertisement isn’t it? Who wouldn’t want the chance to win over 10,000 in prices.

The contest in sponsored by picture.com, which also operates under the names International Library of Photography, Circle of Photographs and a host of other names.

If you’ve entered any of your photo’s in the contest, I can almost guarantee that you’ve received a letter from the International Library of Photography (Picture.com) stating that your photo was a finalist in their contest.

They’ve likely told you that regardless if you purchased a book, your photo will be published in an upcoming anthology.

The letter may even read something like this:

“Congratulations on your accomplishment (put your name in here.) Only a small percentage of individuals whose photos we have examined were selected to be part of this distinguished group of outstanding photographers.”

Shame! That’s not true at all picture.com

The truth is that everyone is a finalist in the contest and they will publish anything. They don’t look for quality, only quantity.

The International Library of Photography is a vanity publisher. “A vanity publisher is a publishing house that publishes books at the author’s expense.” Johnathon Clifford coined the term in 1959.

Normally when you contribute to a book you either get paid for your photo or you get complimentary copies of the book or magazine that you’re published in.

That is not the case with vanity publishers such as ‘The International Library of Photography.’

For a fee, they will include your photograph in a book. Now purchasing the book doesn’t necessary guarantee that you’ll receive the book.

Many amateur photographers have purchased a copy of the anthology that their photo was suppose to be in, yet haven’t received the book.

I have received complaint warnings about credit cards charged for books/awards never received.

Any attempts made by the customer to contact the company to inquire about their purchase fail.

Sadly, they’ve been doing this for years. A Google search for picture.com or any of the other names that the company operates under will pull up several warnings about the company and their contest.

They don’t only prey on photographers, but poets as well. (I speak from experience there.) It comes as no surprise that both picture.com and poetry.com are registered to the same company.

Picture.com affiliated organizations are Arts and Kids, International Library of Photography, Circle of Photographers, International Society of Photography , International Library of Poetry, National Library of Poetry , Poetry.com, Noble House Publishers, American Literary Press , International Society of Poets, International Poetry Hall of Fame, Watermark Press , Birthwrites, International Lib, Pegasus Press,
Circle of Photographs and a host of other names.

See warnings regarding this company at Today’s Woman Writers Warnings , Windpub ,acecam.com, and betterphoto.com

If you fell victim to this contest, you’re not alone.

My advice to you is not to waste your time and money on them. Before entering any photo or poetry contest, please do your homework.

Tags: Internet
del.icio.us:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   digg:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   wists:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   simpy:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   blinklist:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   reddit:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   fark:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   blogmarks:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   Y!:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   magnolia:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography   stumbleupon:Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography

It will look like this: Vanity publishing- International Society of Photography

• baileesmom
    Wrote: Mar 21, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Rose, you are absolutely right. I got pulled into that scheme when I first started looking to be published. I laid down my $95.00 and never heard from them again.

• Mukund
    Wrote: Mar 21, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I read some of your posts and I feel aware now…
    I never had any idea of such things happening. First I read about the photo contest and then about the pay day loans bit… It was shocking to read at first but I guess there are all sorts of people…. You are doing an amazing work…

• AngelBaby
    Wrote: Mar 22, 2009 at 1:26 pm

You have some wonderful information on this and you have saved me from allot of grief. My husband wrote some poetry to me when he was in Viet Nam and I was thinking of getting it published but didn’t know where to go. Now I know where not to go. Thank you so much.

Love and Blessings,
    AngelBaby

• David
    Wrote: Mar 22, 2009 at 2:40 pm

jeez.. thats shoddy !!! but there are plenty of ways to losing money on the internet and i guess this is one of them..

cheers
    D

• Bob
    Wrote: Mar 22, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this one, there are so many ways to loose money and time on the net, thanks for watching out for us!

• Lilly
    Wrote: Mar 22, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Hi Rose, thanks for dropping by my blog. this is an interesting post. We are always looking for the right thing and there are always some unscrupulous people ready to take our money. thank goodness you have made this known. I am going to spend some time looking around your blog!

• Beth
    Wrote: Mar 22, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Boy, somebody’s always trying to make a buck.

• Debo Hobo
    Wrote: Mar 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm

OMG!!! I was unaware…I hope more people read this post and heed your warning. Vanity and the pursuit of fame can leave a person very vulnerable to rip off artist.

• Erin
    Wrote: Mar 28, 2009 at 12:47 am

I heard of them years ago when I was trying to get my photographs out there (I’m an amature photographer) so people could hire me, but I decided to do a little research first. It’s amazing what a little digging will get you. I knew poetry.com was a scam (one that I fell for when I was in high school and thought my poems were good), and when I found out that pictures.com was by the same people I was really disappointed.

It’s sad how many people out there have fallen for this scam. I’m still having a hard time finding a legitimate photo contest. From what I can tell, the only real photo contest is one where you have to send in either a CD or a slide of the photo and pay a application fee.

• Karen
    Wrote: Jun 30, 2009 at 2:30 pm

The folks at picture.com used to be legit. I entered several times, and have 3books that I paid for. The one from last year, however, has never been received, and I also feel duped. I wish there was a way we could track them down and get our $$ back.

I have been doing some research today, and it seems they have moved to Olathe, KS ph# 913-782-3272-which just goes to an answering machine! There is a street address: 2701 W 150th St. I’m unable to tell if it’s just an empty warehouse/maildrop as I live in another state. Might just send mail to see what comes back.

If we could find these crooks, maybe we could file a class-action suit. Or maybe this company really belongs to Madoff!

• Beverly Gary
    Wrote: Feb 12, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Picture.com does not exist anymore. I had entered 4 pictures in this contest.
    The book my pictures were supposed to be in were never published. My daughters picture was.
    We did get the book but it was only after I wrote to them and complained that we had paid for the book and didn’t receive it. It only took a year

• acy
    Wrote: May 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

i sent in to about 4 of their contest and i order books and other stuff and i got all thestuff i order from on time so i had no paroblem with them