National Cleavage Day

April 3rd, 2009 by Rose DesRochers · 10 Comments

Women have cleavage, we all know that. Do we really need a special day set aside to show off our cleavage? Today is “National Cleavage Day.” It is the day that we women are suppose to dress up and bare our cleavage.

“National Cleavage Day” originated in South Africa and is sponsored by Wonderbra. ( Paul Jacobson says “It is just an excuse for Wonderbra to sell more push-up bras.” Amen to that.)

Am I the only one who thinks “National Cleavage Day” is a worthless day? Call me what you will, but I find the day sexist.

We are living in a society where women struggle everyday to get away from the sex object stereotype. I think “National Cleavage Day” sends the wrong message.

I boycotted the day by wearing a v-neck that doesn’t show my cleavage.

“National Cleavage Day” just adds to the stereotypes and sexism in our culture.

Tags: Strange holidays
del.icio.us:National Cleavage Day  digg:National Cleavage Day  wists:National Cleavage Day  simpy:National Cleavage Day  blinklist:National Cleavage Day  reddit:National Cleavage Day  fark:National Cleavage Day  blogmarks:National Cleavage Day  Y!:National Cleavage Day  magnolia:National Cleavage Day  stumbleupon:National Cleavage Day

It will look like this: National Cleavage Day

Wrote: Apr 3, 2009 at 8:22 pm

well, of course it’s sexist but frankly, I’d never even heard of it before.

• Beth
    Wrote: Apr 3, 2009 at 10:30 pm

I agree with you 100%, Rose.

• Bob
    Wrote: Apr 4, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Never heard of it before, it is rather sexist.

• Shelton Elkins
    Wrote: Apr 5, 2009 at 1:51 am

Hmm…while this is one of those subjects that has a way of popping out of the boundaries of its confinement, I have to say that it can be cinched in without cutting off the circulation. I agree with you that there is too much objectifying of women, the question is how do we change attitudes? From the inside or from the outside? I have found that there is very little as fearsomely awesome as a woman that is first and foremost comfortable within her own sexuality! For a solidly built fortress of self image, no infantile ignorance can breach a strong woman’s walls. The key is cultivating, building and promoting a sharper, higher image of oneself from the inside. When a man is confronted with a woman whose self image is far beyond the “perky breasted cardboard cutout that merchandising loves so well, he is stopped cold at the walls of the fortress. Whether she “flashes” or does not flash is not the issue. She should be able to do what she wishes…full spectrum should be within her choice. The man confronted with the woman that believes she is “more”, must deal with “more”….He is then forced to go back to the drawing board and redefine not only who and what she is, but himself as well or there will be no platform for “communication”. An alcoholic is not an alcoholic because he drinks, it is more a product of his thinking. Change the thoughts and change the behavior! In my blog on what women truly represent, I sing the same song, that women need to recognize and embrace their tremendous value outside of being female and then embrace the treasure of femininity as a God given uniqueness that is essential to being “human”.

• Tammy
    Wrote: Apr 5, 2009 at 8:35 am

You’ve got to be kidding, National Cleavage day?

I wish I was kidding Tammy.

• rimone
    Wrote: Apr 6, 2009 at 4:29 am

i never had cleavage but if i had, i wouldn’t have displayed it on this or any other day. in other news, when i watch TV, it seems every day’s cleavage day.

wait; ‘sponsored by Wonderbra’? why am i not surprised?

• GreenLava
    Wrote: Apr 16, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Oh…they’ve raised (or should I say pushed) this national-whatever-day thing to a higher level :).

• Diddums
    Wrote: Apr 18, 2009 at 8:46 am

I haven’t even heard of it… but my guess is that those who already show their cleavage will, and those who don’t, won’t. 🙂 So I don’t see the point of it, except as a marketing gimmick. Hmm.

• ImadoGlover
    Wrote: May 23, 2009 at 11:52 am

What’s next, “National Package Day” sponsored by Hanes? It’s pretty absurd.