Celebrating moms who are in heaven

May 12th, 2009 by Rose DesRochers · 8 Comments

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother’s Day. This was my seventh Mother’s Day without my sweet mother. I visited her grave on Sunday and I couldn’t help but notice how many individuals and families were there, visiting the grave of their Mother.

Upon leaving the cemetery I saw three sitters sitting in a circle on a blanket having a picnic next to their Mother’s headstone. Though a sad picture I could not help but think what a beautiful way to spend Mother’s Day.

“I miss thee, my Mother!
Thy image is still the deepest impressed on my heart. -Eliza Cook”

Tags: Daily Life
del.icio.us:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  digg:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  wists:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  simpy:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  blinklist:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  reddit:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  fark:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  blogmarks:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  Y!:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  magnolia:Celebrating moms who are in heaven  stumbleupon:Celebrating moms who are in heaven

It will look like this: Celebrating moms who are in heaven

• Sujomi
    Wrote: May 13, 2009 at 7:33 am

This was the 5th Mother’s Day without my mother. I visited the cemetery and brought her new flowers for her vase. Normally, I’m alone, but on Sunday, there were three other cars by where I usually park.

I actually find the picnic in the cemetery idea quite appealing. I believe that in the past, this was quite common for people to do on holidays and weekends.

• Beth
    Wrote: May 14, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Beautiful, Rose! This made me smile. Thanks.

• Erin
    Wrote: May 15, 2009 at 3:03 am

It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother’s Day despite you not being able to spend it with your mother. I’m sorry for your loss. What a beautiful picture you paint when you describe the scene at the cemetery. My mother, grandmother, my daughters and I spent part of the afternoon having a picnic in a park attached to the cemetery where my great grandmother is buried. We left some flowers at her headstone and went home. It was nice for all of us to be together for an afternoon. Your story about the people sitting in a circle having a picnic reminded me of that.

• Seamus
    Wrote: May 15, 2009 at 10:49 am

Mother’s Day was always a big deal around our house. It just hasn’t been the same since mom left us 5 years ago.

Seamus I hear you. My condolences.

• Ching Ya
    Wrote: May 16, 2009 at 4:27 am

We have a chinese old saying that when literally translated it goes like this:
    ‘the tree wish to be still yet the wind keeps blowing; children wish to take care of their parents yet they are there no more’
    Meant to remind us to always treasure our parents when we still have the chance. It’s what we should keep in mind everyday.

@wchingya

Beautiful saying.

• Jannie Funster
    Wrote: May 16, 2009 at 7:07 am

It is a sweet image about the picnic.

I suppose I do take my mother for granted so I better start showering her with lots of love and stuff.

Sweetness and light to you.