Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites

September 21st, 2009 by Rose DesRochers · 11 Comments

Everyday I receive an email from yourwebsitedev.com promoting their web design services.  The subject line of the emails reads: “I have redesigned your website.” The emails come from yourwebsitedev.com, which forwards to onlywebsites.com.

Only Websites is owned by Daniel Todd. Start digging a little more and Daniel owns hawaii5point0.com, which forwards to onlywebsites.com.

Daniel Todd also owns the domains webdesignpark.info, folawfirmsites.com and lawfirmsites.net.

Last week: Heidi from the company claimed in a telephone conversation that I had with her that the company doesn’t send spam.

Any unsolicited email selling me something I did not opt in to receive is spam.

Today when I called and ask to speak to “Warner Baxter,” I was told that he was on the phone.

I then asked to speak to James Perz, and the secretary immediately asked me if I had received an email with an offer to redesign my website. She went on to ask me if I was interested.

I told her that all I was interested in was having my email removed from “Only Websites” spam list as they had agreed to remove me last week when I called.

The person I spoke to today kept telling me that they didn’t send out spam.

Well the Sales Managers who work for their company do.

“The Project Honey Pot system” has detected behavior from the IP address 207.150.196.54,
208.38.188.42 and 74.208.154.143 consisting with that of a spam harvester and mail server.”

(See: projecthoneypot.org/ip_74.208.154.143 and projecthoneypot.org/ip_207.150.196.54)

Example Messages Sent From 74.208.154.143:

From: “James Perz” Subject: I have redesigned your website

I warned Heidi last week when I stupidly gave her my email address that if she didn’t remove me from her harvested spam list that I would forward every email I receive from them to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). ( I’m must be stupid for handing over my email address to spam harvesters.)

If you receive spam email from onlywebsites.com, please forward it to spam (@) uce.gov. You can also file a complaint via ftccomplaintassistant.gov

The FTC has decided to take legal steps to deal with spam. They use the unsolicited e-mails stored in their database to pursue law enforcement actions against the spammers.

An anonymous person claiming to be the owner of Only Websites states on iripoff.com ” We always follow the laws and rules of the CAN-SPAM act and act accordingly.”

While onlywebsites.com may offer an opt-out method, they are not complying with CAN-SPAM, with regards to “harvesting” email addresses.

designchunk.com, designroot.info, designroot.org, marketing-website-design.net,only-websites.info, only-websites.us, webdesignjet.mobi, webdesignjet.net, webdesignpark.org and yourwebsitedev.us all appear to be associated with onlywebsites.com.”

Anyone considering doing business with OnlyWebsites.com should really think twice. Is this the kind of company that you want designing your website?

Tags: Internet
del.icio.us:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  digg:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  wists:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  simpy:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  blinklist:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  reddit:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  fark:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  blogmarks:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  Y!:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  magnolia:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites  stumbleupon:Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites

It will look like this: Spam Harvesting Onlywebsites

• Jannie Funster
    Wrote: Sep 22, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Bad neighborhood sites. That’s what those are called, right?

No, I’ve not yet had the pleasure of tussling with them but some nut named Bill Bartmann keeps spamming (or trying to spam,) my comments from different I.P.s But I took no truck with his advances.

Tell me Miss “Pink Momma”, Miss Lovely Rose of The Rocks, has Mr Bartmann come a-courting your blog?

Why can’t these people just get REAL jobs?? Like wheat or corn harvesting?? Or pumpkins at this time of year?

• Carl
    Wrote: Sep 22, 2009 at 11:32 pm

I love posts like this. You inspired me to write a post about Dan Kennedy and his evil spam empire. It’s scary what these people are allowed to get away with.

• Sam
    Wrote: Sep 29, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Thanks for the detailed info, I just received one of these spam emails and hit Google with it, got this article.

Makes me feel better about marking it/them as SPAM 😉

I have phoned them three times and requested to be removed from their mailing list.

Every-time you attempt to speak to the individual that emails you, you are told that he is on the phone.

On Monday a woman asked if I’d leave my number. I told her I rather not and she informed me that she already had it.

I read of another case where they charged someone “$3,300.00” for a website without finishing or providing what they promised.

My pleasure! 🙂

• Anonymous
    Wrote: Sep 30, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I used to work for Onlywebsites/Lawfirmsites. I left because of bad business practices like these. None of those “sales mangers” exist. They are all fake names. Most of the copy on their website is deceiving. Dan Todd fires and hires at will. The company goes through a lot of employees. Sometimes he’ll have maybe 1 or 2 employees. Sometimes he’ll have 20. I’d only been there about a year and I had worked their the longest. He usually hires cheap out-of-highschool or college kids.
    When he claims to know SEO, he doesn’t. I read on their blog a few months ago that they are now offering a yahoo service to know how many backlinks your website has. Anyone with basic SEO know-how knows that this is a common SEO tool that has been around for years.
    By the way, Onlywebsites uses search engines to scrape emails from the web. Then they spam millions of emails per day. However, they are acting in the terms of the CAN-SPAM act.

How can they be within the CAN-SPAM Act when they are harvesting email addresses?

• ANDRES CABO
    Wrote: Oct 3, 2009 at 10:45 am

Mr. Todd and his company Onlywebsites.com did not complete or render as described promised contractual services.

The Owner Daniel M. Todd has charged us the full total amount of $3,300.00 for a web site without finishing or providing what they promised and contracted. Even thou we had a catastrophic fire which put our family business out of business we consistently communicated with him and his company.

He did not provide us with the described contracted web site and still charged the full amount of $3,300.00 (charged 2nd payment of $1650.00 on the 18 of September for a total of $3,000.00) without our authorization!

Mr. Todd and VP Mr. Haddock claims that his lawyer has purposely crafted there contract in order to make sure he keeps our money and we would not have a chance to get our money back from our card credit company.

Mr. Haddock stated that all previous attempts from other clients have been futile and that we would lose even more time, money and still not have the contracted web site! Basically…”Read the fine print!”

Mr. Todd has left rude voice mails, sent unprofessional emails (all available upon request) and has conducted himself and his company in an unethical manner and has used deceptive business practices. He has complaints online for spam (goggle onlywebsites spam) and does not have a favorable rating with the Utah Better Business Bureau since he has 3 complaints filed against him and his company.

I have tired repeatedly to reason with Mr. Todd, but since he does not act in good faith, I am afraid I must use any and all resources available in order to defend our hard earned money and prevent this from happening again to another person or company.

We must go thru any expense and have the will and resources to make sure he does not profit unlawfully. This may not be “smart business” but theirs a legal law and also a moral law, and we firmly believe it is the right thing to do!

The following is the type of character Mr. Todd is and runs his company accordingly;

See the very last email they we got from Mr. Todd, and his response:

“Mr. Todd, for the record, I dispute and deny all of your allegations and statements contained in your email. I have explained myself completely to your Vice President (Mr. Haddock) and at least in this case his recommendation to you for refund is absolutely the correct one. The only way we can have any agreement or dialogue is to refund the unauthorized charges on our credit card. If above demand is not met immediately and since we are in the process of taking any and all actions, we do have the will and resources to make sure you do not profit unlawfully. This may not be “smart business” but rest assured as I clearly explained to Mr. Haddock, under no circumstances this fraud will stand.

Mr. Todd response:

Dear The Owner.
    You need to read the CONTRACT you signed! Honestly, did you read it Mr. The Owner? Sincerely, Daniel M. Todd

• caterina platt
    Wrote: Mar 15, 2010 at 10:22 am

Go Rose!! I’ve tried to get rid of this slimey spammer myself several times. You’ve done some great research, as I had no idea there were so many domains associated with this outfit.

Thank you!

• Victim of Only Websites
    Wrote: Apr 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I also had dealings with Only Websites. I paid them to create a custom website. I have been with them for 2 years and it breaks all the time. I have as many as 5 open help ticktes going at one time. The average response 1-2 weeks.

Daniel Todd is a crook. He does not deliver what he promises. I’m desperate to get out of this situation with him. Please let me know how. I also want to prevent this from happening to others.