The Anniversary of the death of my mother

December 2nd, 2009 by Rose DesRochers · 18 Comments

Eight years ago today, I lost the person who gave me life. The anniversary of her passing is never easy. I can’t believe that it has been eight years already.

As much as I thought I was prepared for her death, I wasn’t, but then I have to wonder are we ever truly prepared to lose a loved one.

My Mom

Looking at her photograph hanging on my wall still brings tears to my eyes.

There has been times that I’ve wanted to pick up the phone and call her just to hear her voice, then I remind myself that she is really gone.

I had a wonderful relationship with my mother. I was like a bird under her wing that never let go of her apron strings.

I can recall many times spent with her that made me realize just how much she loved me. Over the course of my life I tried to show her in every way that I loved her too.

The loss of a Mother is one of the hardest things in life to endure. I miss my mother. I always will.

An Empty Chair

There is an empty chair
where my mother use to sit,
but there will never be
an empty place within my heart
for there her memory is seated.

Copyright © Rose DesRochers 2005-2009

del.icio.us:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  digg:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  wists:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  simpy:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  blinklist:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  reddit:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  fark:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  blogmarks:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  Y!:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  magnolia:The Anniversary of the death of my mother  stumbleupon:The Anniversary of the death of my mother

It will look like this: The Anniversary of the death of my mother

• Holly Jahangiri
    Wrote: Dec 2, 2009 at 1:25 am

My condolences, Rose. It has been almost eight years since my mom died, too. I feel the ache with you.

Wrote: Dec 2, 2009 at 10:00 am

“I have to wonder are we ever truly prepared to lose a loved one.”

Nope.

My condolences.

Thank you Roger.

• Jack
    Wrote: Dec 2, 2009 at 10:45 am

I don’t think we are ever completely prepared to say goodbye to certain loved ones. Some people play too big a role in our lives for us not to miss them.

So true Jack!

• Ms. Liz
    Wrote: Dec 3, 2009 at 9:42 am

Hey Rose,

I lost my mom as well and just celebrated the anniversary of her death on Thanksgiving. It IS hard and as you say, you’re never really prepared to lose someone you love, especially your mom.

But our moms are our first teachers, they help us grow wings andbecome the people we are. Your tribute to your mom will be passing on the love and compassion your mom gave you to your own children and, I can tell already, that you will do it very well 🙂

My deepest condolences Liz.

• Jannie Funster
    Wrote: Dec 3, 2009 at 1:25 pm

“I only hope that I am as wonderful of a mother to my children as my mother was to me.”

I am sure that you are, Rose. Just wanting to be conscious of being a good mom is a gift you are offering your kids.

Beautiful post, my heart goes out to you on this.

Thank you Jannie.

Thank you.

• Sujomi
    Wrote: Dec 3, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Lovely post. I too, find myself going to the phone to call Mom about something and then realizing that she has been gone for 4+ years (5 in March). There are times when the heartache is still as fresh as the day she passed.

Just like you, I try to be as good as a mother to my kids as she was to me. It is the best way to honor her memory and is the salve for the wound to my heart.

Take care.

My condolences Sujomi.

• AngelBaby
    Wrote: Dec 6, 2009 at 11:13 pm

What a beautiful post about you mother. It is true I don’t think we ever really get over loosing a loved one. They stay in our hearts forever and yet we still miss them.

Love and Blessings,
    AngelBaby

• Liara Covert
    Wrote: Dec 11, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Your mother never truly leaves you. Love forms the connection. She is an energy being who has simply changed form and moves beyond the physical. Every human being is actually made of energy. You can connect with people you care about through your dreams. When you hear a song that reminds you of your mom or someone else who passed on, this may be a message of love from that person. Sense what you choose. Listen to intuition. Move beyond fear and experience what else exists.

• karen
    Wrote: Mar 16, 2010 at 12:40 am

Your poem Empty Chair is comforting, as today is the second anniversary of my mother’s death. I miss and pray for her soul. Thank you for your poem which I will share with my children.

My most sincere condolences. I’m glad my poem brought you some comfort.

• Christina
    Wrote: Jul 10, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Thank you for the comforting words. It is true memories of loved ones will always be in our hearts. I am feeling sad today; I find your words comforting.

• Rose RedNeckWitch
    Wrote: Mar 30, 2011 at 12:25 am

I lost my Mom just a bit over a month ago. This has truly been the hardest part of my life. When I moved out her house, she moved into mine. I have taken care of her for the biggest part of my adult life.
    The day I lost her is engraved into my memory, one I’d like to forget happened, yet it’s the one that’s so vivid.

I am so sorry that you too have lost your Mom.

Love N’ Hugs, please feel free to email me anytime.

~ Rose