2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals

January 1st, 2010 by Rose DesRochers · 18 Comments

How to Keep that New Year’s Resolution

The first day of the new year is a great day to reflect on the past year. It’s also a day when many people make resolutions for the year.

I don’t make New Year resolutions, because I don’t believe in waiting until a New Year to make change in my life or set goals for myself.

However, if you are one of the many who has made a “New Year’s resolution” please keep these things in mind.

Every year at the beginning of the New Year people make resolutions they never keep. They set large goals for themselves that they don’t achieve, because they give up.

Example: Quitting smoking is a large large goal one that you may find it hard to reach. Cutting down on the number of cigarettes you smoke is a small goal. When people set large goals for themselves they often find it difficult to follow through.

In September 2008, I returned to school to complete my grade 12. My ultimate goal was to obtain my diploma. The small goal I set for myself was to complete one course. I’ve completed two.

When I returned to school I didn’t set a date on when I wanted to graduate. Instead I took out a subject and worked away at it. I still haven’t obtained my diploma, but I’m much closer to the ultimate goal then I was. I also took the step that I had put off for many years, because of a fear of failure.

Every small step we take, every task we complete brings us closer to our ultimate goal. One feels a sense of accomplishment when they meet that smaller goal. Award your-self when you complete those small tasks. By recognizing our progress it helps us stay motivated to reach the ultimate goal.

Don’t set your sights too high and risk the disappointment of another year passed where your goals were not met. Start with something small and take baby steps until you reach something bigger.

What change in your life will you make today?

del.icio.us:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   digg:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   wists:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   simpy:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   blinklist:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   reddit:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   fark:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   blogmarks:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   Y!:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   magnolia:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals   stumbleupon:2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals

It will look like this: 2010 Resolutions- Achieve Your Goals

• Ileane
    Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Rose, congratulations on taking the bull by the horns and going back to school!
    I decided to learn some SEO strategies in 2010, it is something I’ve been ignoring since I started blogging.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    .-= Ileane´s last blog ..Google Page Rank on a WordPress.com Blog =-.

• Glen
    Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 2:34 pm

My goal for today is to eat less cookies. In one sitting.
    So, taking your advice I only ate half the cookies. I’ll eat the rest later today.

God, I feel liberated..

Congratulations on the high school thing. When you graduate can you get me a ticket to the prom.
    I missed mine..
    .-= Glen´s last blog ..Bringing In the New Year =-.

I’m not attending the prom. lol I’m not even attending the grad. 🙂

Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Well actually you didn’t spark this post. We were just on the same page.

Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Concrete goals that are measurable I hope.

I still think you should cut down on the number you smoke instead of cutting cold turkey. 🙂

• Marikxon Manurung
    Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Hi Rose, How r you doing?
    I think everyone needs to have goals or expectations. I usually make a list of goals and expectations that I want to achieve. Well, it’s not all achieved but at least I’ll try to get there and do something for the better. That’s my opinion, what do you think Rose?
    .-= Marikxon Manurung´s last blog ..Discount Hot Tub =-.

• Mike Goad
    Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I also don’t make New Year’s resolutions. If it’s important enough to be a resolution, why wait until New Year’s Day.

I’m not making any change in my life today — no need.

Happy New Year!!!!!!
    .-= Mike Goad´s last blog ..Windows 7, Christmas and a long range project =-.

• Kidgas
    Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Mike makes a great point. Why is it just New Year’s that gets the attention? I am sure we all have areas in our life that need improvement.

Open ended and vague goals only lead to disappointment. It is vital to success, as you mention, to make small attainable goals that add up to the larger goal.
    .-= Kidgas´s last blog ..Earnings Report for Q4 2009 =-.

• Arie Rich
    Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I am also planning to achieve a few goals this year. I have stopped writing down Resolutions, I find myself never accomplishing them, when I call them New Year’s resolutions…I would start and quit by March of April. I never followed through. Ever since I started setting up goals for each year, I find myself completing them and achieving them. My resolution is to come up with goals for 2010. I think that’s a great resolution!

Thanks for this post! Have a happy New Year!
    .-= Arie Rich´s last blog ..The Man List – Single Women’s New Year’s Resolution =-.

• Jared P Little
    Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Rose, great advice I didn’t even make it thought day one of my resolution. To not yell at my kids this year. Talk about a unrealstic goal.

New Years is a great time to think about some thinks you want to accomplish and gives you a nice reminder to make some changes in your life but your right. You shouldn’t wait till the new year if yo want to change or do something. Congradulations on your school that a big deal.

I did the same thing a couple years back. I wanted to finish my college education before I turned 30 after attend 6 or 7 schools, on and of education for the prior 8 years. I just set a goal to do it before I turn 30. I set my mind to it and started at 27. A year and a half later I did it.
    .-= Jared P Little´s last blog ..Thinking about 10 Years from Now =-.

• Mitch
    Wrote: Jan 1, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Way to go, Rose. Of course, you know me, I set my sights high because I want to push myself. Even if I don’t hit the goal, if I made some kind of progress on the goal I feel like I’ve done pretty well. I know some people say they don’t set goals, and I disagree with that because it pretty much means you don’t care to be successful. If one can’t define what success is for them, even if it’s just to go to work every day, come home happy and watch TV, then they’re just going through the motions, and what’s the point?

Thanks!

• Uttoran Sen
    Wrote: Jan 2, 2010 at 2:19 am

I love making resolution and i keep checking it from time to time and make sure my work is justifying the resolutions i had set 🙂

its never the ultimate goal that matter me most, rather the process of achieving it, which i enjoy the most
    .-= Uttoran Sen´s last blog ..2010 Plans – Big Dreams =-.

• Anne
    Wrote: Jan 2, 2010 at 1:32 pm

This year I decided to set a few micro goals for myself with an larger end goal. Of course my 16 year old has given me a time frame to get back into shape. I have until October 2010 to lose about 25 pounds. I think I can do it. 🙂
    .-= Anne´s last blog ..2010 Wish List ~ Non-Resolution Style =-.

You don’t look like you need to loose 25 lbs.

A time frame seems like an unrealistic goal to me. Anne, just take the weight loss one day at a time. That’s what I’m doing.

• scheng1
    Wrote: Jan 3, 2010 at 4:03 am

I do not have new year goal either. My goal is a long term goal, break into many smaller part. Enjoy blogging is part of my goal to live life as fully as possible.
    .-= scheng1´s last blog ..How to generate traffic to website without spending money =-.

• Our Blog Log
    Wrote: Jan 5, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Quitting smoking has beein on goal list for awhile now =/. Congrats on going back to school though , It does take alot of motivation and ambition to do this. Good Luck!
    .-= Our Blog Log´s last blog ..Social Media Marketing And Advertising =-.

Thanks! I dropping into the school tonight to see how many courses I had left. I was informed I did really well on my last course, which is a nice feeling.