A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience

January 7th, 2010 by Rose DesRochers · 11 Comments

Today I had a “Pretty Woman” shopping experience. Talk about unpleasant!

You remember the 1990 movie Pretty Woman don’t you? If you’ve never seen it I recommend renting it. Great movie!

Anyhow, in the movie, a snobby saleslady refuses to sell clothes to
Vivian (played by Julia Roberts), because she is dressed like a prostitute.

Later Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts) dressed head to toe in designer clothes returns to the store.

Scene goes like this:

“I was in here yesterday,” says Vivian to the snobby sales lady. “You wouldn’t wait on me. You people work on commission, right?” The clerk mumbles yeah. “Big mistake. Big. Huge. I have to go shopping now,” says Vivian.

With that Vivian, leaves the store with loads of shopping bags in hand.

Love that scene!

Today I suddenly felt like Vivian in Pretty Woman and no I was not dressed like a prostitute. “Laugh”

However, I did feel like I was judged based on my appearance.

I look like the average every day working class mom. Today, I’m was wearing a pretty red blouse and jeans. (Casual attire! I looked good!)

We went into a jewelry store to purchase my son a ring for his 16th birthday. The saleslady was very polite and helpful. We told her that we’d bring my son back in after school to pick out a ring and to get his finger sized.

When we went in after dinner and the assistant manager assisted us. Nice saleslady was no longer working!

The assistant manager was rude, and a snob. She possessed this attitude like she thought there was nothing in the store we could afford. (Hello? I have money to spend!)

We ended up leaving the store without the ring. I felt like going elsewhere, but because it’s the ring my son really wants I’ll return when she’s not working.

I guess we have all come across that snooty sales person at one time or another in our shopping experience.

It isn’t right though. No one should ever be made to feel like they don’t belong in a store.

Does anyone else have a bad customer service story to share?

Shop Amazon

Pretty Woman (10th Anniversary Edition)

del.icio.us:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  digg:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  wists:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  simpy:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  blinklist:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  reddit:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  fark:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  blogmarks:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  Y!:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  magnolia:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience  stumbleupon:A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience

It will look like this: A Pretty Woman Shopping Experience

• Gordie
    Wrote: Jan 7, 2010 at 3:09 am

In China when I walk into many stores the prices automatically go up 400%!
    .-= Gordie´s last blog ..How To Turn Cooking Into Lifestyle Design Cuisine. =-.

Wrote: Jan 7, 2010 at 5:22 am

There’s a seven-letter word for the assistant manager. It starts with the letter A and it’s my favorite curse word.
    .-= Roger Green´s last blog ..MOVIE REVIEW: Fly Me To the Moon =-.

• Keith
    Wrote: Jan 7, 2010 at 6:37 am

I remember this movie, I think it is one of the rare movies I actually went to the Theater to watch with my girl! LOL
    .-= Keith´s last blog ..Are You Getting Things Done? =-.

• Anne
    Wrote: Jan 7, 2010 at 8:26 am

Let’s see, just about anytime I enter Walmart is a bad customer service experience [except the greeter, who actually does say hello & goodbye with a smile]. Otherwise I don’t recall any specific instance of being treated in the manner you describe. Then again, I don’t pay that much attention and could just be that oblivious to it. 😉
    .-= Anne´s last blog ..Auto Speak with Dip Stick =-.

• Mitch
    Wrote: Jan 7, 2010 at 9:14 am

It’s terrible that you had to go through this. Trust me, I’ve had to go through it many times myself, and half those times I “showed out” then refused to buy anything from there. People just shouldn’t be treated like that by these people who have no idea what you have or what you do. And regardless of who you are and what you do, it shouldn’t matter anyway.

I couldn’t agree more Mitch!

• Davina
    Wrote: Jan 7, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I remember that scene from Pretty Woman. It *was* a good one. I can’t think of a bad customer service experience in my history. That ring will be quite the conversation piece now won’t it? 🙂
    .-= Davina´s last blog ..Mother Nature Waits for Nobody =-.

• Sherry
    Wrote: Jan 8, 2010 at 12:11 am

The difference here is that I openly call people on their behavior, finding such treatment not only intolerable but shameful and worth being tasked for it. And publically too. I have yet to get anything less than a public apology, a new salesperson (usually a store mgr) and complete, delicious subsequent service. I simply will not allow people to reward themselves for such behaviors by chasing me away while they basque in their nastiness. I feel like She-Ra, “I have the power!” 😀 And I can do it all while smiling, too.
    .-= Sherry´s last blog ..Guest Blogger – M. McLaurin =-.

I’ve called people on their behavior too. More than once. In this case I just let it go. I did find another store that has the same ring. Purchasing it from there. Nicer store. Nicer sales staff.

• Keith Davis
    Wrote: Jan 10, 2010 at 5:18 am

Great story Rose
    I’m a man… so I don’t have any clothes stories.
    My stories are all about wine waiters.

I’m no wine buff but I do enjoy a glass or two with a meal. The hard part is trying to pretend that I know what I’m ordering and then all that business with “tasting the wine” to make sure that it’s not corked.

All this whilst the waiter looks down his nose…
    We Brits are such snobs!
    .-= Keith Davis´s last blog ..Ooh la la… =-.

Are you not a brit? 😛 You don’t sound like a snob. 🙂