Too much time online

February 10th, 2010 by Rose DesRochers · 22 Comments

Finding the right balance between your online social life and your offline life

How much time do you spend online each week? If you’re an average Internet user, a recent poll found that people spend 13 hours online each week. The average teenager spends 31 hours per week online.

13 hours seems rather low. I know I spend more than 13 hours a week online. I most likely spend more than 31 hours online. Mind you my businesses depend on me being there.

I asked some people on Twitter how much time they spent online and the answers ranged from two hours a day to 14.

Some people use the internet for work, so of course they spend a lot more hours on the internet compared to the average net user.

Between Tweeting, answering blog comments, reading blogs, writing posts, reviewing poetry, updating websites, answering emails I spend a lot of time online.

It’s no surprise that more and more people are turning to the Internet these days not just for information, but to seek out personal connections and build relationships with people.

But are your offline relationships suffering because of it?

Last week I was reading a blog post where a husband said that his wife felt he was spending too much time online and that she was feeling very neglected.

Balancing your time online and family can be a challenge, but I really think it is important to find that balance between your online social life and your offline social life.

Because while you’re busy tweeting and updating your blogs your family may just be missing you.

Make small weekly goals that get you involved outside of the cyber world.

As for me?

I make it a point each week to connect with friends and family offline. The computer will always be here when I return.

Life passes us by so fast. Take time to smell the roses. Take time to show those in your life that you appreciate them.

What do you think? How much time do you spend online? Do you find it hard to balance your Internet usage? Is your social life suffering, because of all the hours you spend online?

del.icio.us:Too much time online  digg:Too much time online  wists:Too much time online  simpy:Too much time online  blinklist:Too much time online  reddit:Too much time online  fark:Too much time online  blogmarks:Too much time online  Y!:Too much time online  magnolia:Too much time online  stumbleupon:Too much time online

It will look like this: Too much time online

• Jannie Funster
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I used to write a lot of letters, easily and happily before the Internet. Now if I don’t sit down and mete out a block of time for them, I don’t get them done. I still like snail-mail letters. Tomorrow I commit to 2 whole hours at them, that should get about 8 written, stamped and addressed.

I spend about 30 hours online a week, yikes. Blogging mostly, and all things related.
    .-= Jannie Funster´s last blog..Who Dat, Who Dat Birthday Boy? =-.

• Steve Youngs
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 1:23 pm

My wife used to complain that she was a computer widow because I was always on the computer. We bought her a computer and now we talk all the time… via IM. 😛

I’m not sure how much time I spend online, but over 100 hours per week easily.

Instant messenger don’t count.

• Ari Herzog
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Define being online. Is sending an email being online?
    .-= Ari Herzog´s last blog..23 Reasons You Should Not Fear Social Media =-.

It’s a digital email, so yes sending an email would count as being online.

• Steve Youngs
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 5:57 pm

@Rose DesRochers:

Doesn’t count for what?

Communication. 🙂

• Steve Youngs
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 6:01 pm

@Ari Herzog:

Well you can “send” 100 emails in seconds, so that couldn’t possibly count. Composing emails doesn’t require an internet connection so that can’t count either. In my eyes, you email habits don’t add to the amount of time you spend online. 🙂

• Anne
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I’m online way too much. I have issues just watching tv, so I am either reading [yes, I can read and watch tv at the same time], doing puzzles, or surfing the net. Sometimes I do put the computer down and pet the dog or snuggle with the hubby. If we’re watching a movie I don’t do anything else. And I force myself to leave the house so I can see what’s going on in the real world.

I like Jannie’s idea of handwritten letters. I bet my mom would love to get one of those, or my dad, brother, sister, etc.
    .-= Anne´s last blog..More Snowy Shots From Ye Olde Homestead [A Photo Journal] =-.

I pet the hubby and snuggle with the dog. lol 🙂

• Alien Ghost
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I spend about 20 hours a week in the computer, from which about 10 are online, and that’s not enough to get everything done!

It’ll be good to spend more time to get more done, but because of leaving several hours everyday to dedicate to family, it is difficult to add more hours to the computer time.

So far it seems a good balance, so the goal is to work on efficiency now, to accomplish more, rather than adding hours to being online.

So far I haven’t received any complains from my family, and I’m trying to keep it that way

Raul
    .-= Alien Ghost´s last blog..Loneliness and Fear =-.

Good to hear Raul.

Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 8:11 pm

My wife is online less than I, doesn’t blog or tweet (doesn’t really understand either). well, I’m online on my job at least 30 hours/wk and probably 15 more at home. Could EASILY do more (more Facebook, Twitter)
    .-= Roger Green´s last blog..Sports and Weather =-.

• Jim Hardin
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Its funny you talk about this I was kind of thinking about this myself. Lately I have stepped back alittle bit from my blog just to take in a bit of life. Real Life with my wife and kids. So I haven’t been posting that often. I think you do need at times to step back. For a while there I was getting a little obsessed with checking my blog creating posts, checking email and not taking time to do what is really important. Spending time with my family. Probably why you haven’t seen me that often Sorry 🙂 I just think it is important to keep a healthy balance.

Funny thing is though at night after the kids go to bed my wife and I will sit and watch TV. She is usually on facebook on her computer and I am on my blog typically. I think some night we just need to shut off all technology and just enjoy spending time together.
    .-= Jim Hardin´s last blog..Pineapple Upside Down Nofun Post Cake =-.

Don’t apologize. Though I enjoy your comments on my blog I’m happy to hear at night after the kids go to bed your wife and you sit and watch TV. 🙂

• Glen
    Wrote: Feb 10, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I spend far to much time online.
    .-= Glen´s last blog..Embrace Change =-.

What are your plans for the weekend?

• Ralph
    Wrote: Feb 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I am sure that you are able to separate business time from personal time because you use the web for business. People who use the web primarily for personal enjoyment might have more difficulty in recognizing the importance of direct, face to face time . Or like Steve, you do everything on the computer.
    .-= Ralph´s last blog..Flibbertigibbet and other tongue pleasing words =-.

I use it for both business & pleasure.

• Jack
    Wrote: Feb 12, 2010 at 4:35 am

I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time online. To be fair work requires being connected all day, but I still end up here afterward.
    .-= Jack´s last blog..A Valentine’s Day Fable =-.

• Mitch
    Wrote: Feb 13, 2010 at 1:34 am

Goodness, I know I spend a lot of time online, pretty much most of my day every single day. Yeah, I’m like you, most of my work life is online, but so is my social life. If I didn’t have a wife it would be my entire life. I’m really glad my wife is so independent.

• Keith Davis
    Wrote: Feb 13, 2010 at 11:07 am

Timely reminder Rose
    It’s not just time blogging… don’t forget checking for emails, deleting the junk and replying to the ones you need to reply to.

My antidote… I exercise between sessions on the computer. All I use is a bench and a set of dumbbells.
    Do a set and reply to a post…
    Do a set and reply to an email…

Gets the job done, saves on gym membership and keeps me fit.
    .-= Keith Davis´s last blog..Practice, practice, practice… =-.