Dog left in Hot Vehicle

July 26th, 2010 by Rose DesRochers · 13 Comments

This is a post that I hope all dog owners will read.

Summer temperatures make a vehicle heat up fast. In just 10 minutes, the temperature inside your vehicle can reach 120 degrees or more.

I had just came out of the dollar store this evening when a woman pulled up in Caravan SUV.

I noticed she had a full-grown lab in the front seat. The windows were up, and the air conditioning was on inside as she pulled into the parking space.

Then, she turned off the ignition, closed the doors without even rolling down the windows and and proceeded into the store with her young daughter.

I immediately called 911 and was dispatched through to an officer. I gave him the make, model and license plate of the vehicle. I told him how long she had been there and his reply was that perhaps she just ran in for a quick 30 secs and that they had the information. ( No officer showed. I tried to safe a life today by speaking out and was shunned.)

A couple of minutes is all it takes to claim the life of a dog.

I don’t know about you, but I have never been just 30 seconds in a store and especially in a dollar store. I normally have to stand in line for five or more minutes just to check out.

It was about fifteen min before the woman came out of the store, turned the air back on and drove away.

What this woman did is more than just carelessness and I wish people would realize how dangerous and deadly the act of leaving your dog in a hot car can be!

(I wonder how she’d feel if she were left in a car, windows rolled up, no air conditioning on, wearing a fur coat.)

Of course dogs don’t sweat like humans do. It only takes minutes for a dog to suffer severe brain damage, or even death.

I should print out some “Don’t Leave Me in Here โ€” It’s Hot!” fliers to keep in our vehicle for the next time this happens.

Never, ever leave a dog in a parked vehicle in the summer!

Shop Amazon

del.icio.us:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  digg:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  wists:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  simpy:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  blinklist:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  reddit:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  fark:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  blogmarks:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  Y!:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  magnolia:Dog left in Hot Vehicle  stumbleupon:Dog left in Hot Vehicle

It will look like this: Dog left in Hot Vehicle

• Peter McCartney
    Wrote: Jul 26, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Hi! I’ve come across the same thing before and what a sight to see an animal suffer this way. Over here it’s offence with a money penalty to boot.

While I’m that, the other growing concern here, is parents leaving their children in a locked car while they spend time in the shops or casinos.

Take Care,
    Peter

I was just reading an article that reported at least 24 children nationwide have died after they were left in hot cars this year. So devastating!

• Colleen
    Wrote: Jul 26, 2010 at 11:15 pm

“You would think that anyone who has a dog would know better then to leave their dog in a vehicle in hot weather.”

Hmm, we have several rental properties and we have story after story of things you would think would be common sense knowledge. Does not surprise me when I hear these sad stories. If I see a dog or child in a car, I immediately call the police. Perhaps harsh, but the consequence of irresponsible behavior is also harsh.

Good for you! Calling the police here did me no good.

• Margaret
    Wrote: Jul 26, 2010 at 11:26 pm

That is so true!! There have even been instances where it’s been a baby left briefly in a car with horrible consequences. Cars heat back up fast after you turn the A/C off!!

• Davina
    Wrote: Jul 27, 2010 at 1:11 am

It still never ceases to amaze me that people don’t realize the consequences of doing this. Good for you for trying to help, Rose. Luckily, in this case that women was only gone 15 minutes. Malls almost need a doggie daycare where owners can leave their pets while they do their shopping.

• Cowboy
    Wrote: Jul 27, 2010 at 7:16 am

You’re right, it doesn’t take long for a vehicle to heat up. I would leave “I’m an idiot” fliers instead.

• Diddums
    Wrote: Jul 27, 2010 at 8:47 am

Absolutely frightening. ๐Ÿ™‚ I hate cars which have the doors under full control of the driver… even as an adult passenger, I’m unable to open a window in the back; I have have to ask! My mother’s car has wind-down windows in the back, which is much better.

• Ned Carey
    Wrote: Jul 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm

>( No officer showed. I tried to safe a life today by speaking out and was shunned.)

There are many crimes out there that I would hope the police consider higher priority. However most of the time police are simply waiting and killing time. It frustrates me when I see police fail to act because they don’t view something as important.

• Mel Avila Alarilla
    Wrote: Jul 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Yes, that was so unconscionable of that lady to leave her dog inside her car in sweltering heat. That was very cruel of her. Sometimes people do things unmindful of the dire consequences their careless acts produce to others. Thanks for the post. God bless you all always.

• Walter
    Wrote: Jul 27, 2010 at 9:08 pm

That’s plain cruelty. I wondered if she’s insensitive about the condition of her dog or was she ignorant about the fact that the heat can build up fast inside the car. Perhaps your flier would educate such people. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jack
    Wrote: Jul 28, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I think that a lot of people are truly clueless about the danger they place their dogs/children in. It is shameful, but some just don’t get it.

• baileesmom
    Wrote: Aug 2, 2010 at 2:26 am

I hardly know what to say. I’ve seen it happen over and over.
    We are supposed to be civilized world and yet we are the ones who neglect or abuse our pets. They are not just animals. They have feelings just like we do.

I had a little dachshund and I never took him in the car much because even in cool weather I would find his little head smashed up against the window looking for me.

He passed away at age 16. I miss him so much I can’t talk about it much.