New Google Image Search Design

July 29th, 2010 by Rose DesRochers · 16 Comments

I don’t do a lot of image searching, but I do use Google Image search from time to time. Yesterday I noticed a new design for Google Images and let me just say that the new Google image interface is terrible. Very disappointed! I prefer the old image search.

Google Image search now loads all the pages in a single view. Google Image Search displays up to 1,000 thumbnails per page. When you mouse over the image, Google shows a larger thumbnail on top of the web page and info about where the photo comes from.

When you click on an image it loads the new image view page with the hovering image.

You can get back to the old version of Google image search by scrolling to the very bottom of the page and clicking on “Switch to basic version.” You’ll of course have to do this every-time you use image search, which is a pain.

Old interface:

Pink laptops

New interface:

Pink laptops

What do you think? Do you like Google’s new image search?

I also noted more offensive images pulling up in Google image search.

Tags: Internet
del.icio.us: New Google Image Search Design  digg: New Google Image Search Design  wists: New Google Image Search Design  simpy: New Google Image Search Design  blinklist: New Google Image Search Design  reddit: New Google Image Search Design  fark: New Google Image Search Design  blogmarks: New Google Image Search Design  Y!: New Google Image Search Design  magnolia: New Google Image Search Design  stumbleupon: New Google Image Search Design

It will look like this: New Google Image Search Design

• Tiki Chris Pinto
    Wrote: Jul 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I was surprised to see the change. Google basically copied this from Bing. I do a LOT of image searches and actually like this way better because I can sort through more images faster.

Yeah, I noticed it looked like Bing.

Wrote: Jul 30, 2010 at 6:23 am

oh, I HATE the new design. And didn’t know about it; thought my computer had gone flaky.

Me too. LOL I kept closing & relaunching Google.

• MRMacrum
    Wrote: Jul 30, 2010 at 7:55 am

I have not noticed a change. But then I am still using an older windows program. But I have noticed more, shall I say, controversial images popping up.

The images are driving me crazy. I have now set it to strict.

• Cowboy
    Wrote: Jul 30, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Yes, google has been changing quite a bit lately. I am not a big fan of their new web searches, too.

Well, we agree on something. lol

• baileesmom
    Wrote: Jul 31, 2010 at 10:35 am

I think Google is highly over rated. I use flickr or Wikipedia. So far I’ve had no problems. Google is a little flaky sometimes.

Think I may switch to Yahoo image search.

• Cath Lawson
    Wrote: Jul 31, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hi Rose, I am not too keen on Google image search full stop and I usually find more relevant images on Yahoo search.

I guess that a lot of people use irrelevant image tags on their blogs for SEO and it ruins the search results.

Yeap, it does. Thinking of switching back to Yahoo too.

• Anonymous
    Wrote: Jul 31, 2010 at 6:32 pm

It is clearly a pain in the a** the fact you need to mouseover every single pic to have the infos like resolution and where it is from.
    But this is not even the worst part of the story, which is the hovering image… I mean, what the hell, why updating the interface so it is less useful? Before, you could directly browse the page the image is from, and optionally take a look at the pic in full resolution. But now, with this new interface (more like shiterface) all you can do is look at this crappy hovering pic at a pointless resolution. If you want to browse the page, you need to do one click, let’s assume you do, then you want to see the pic in full resolution, you need to get back to the useless page, then do one more click. I don’t know what’s wrong with them, but they may have lost many users by now. There is no gain in this new interface. I thought updates had to improve something, not degrading it.

• Tiki Chris Pinto
    Wrote: Jul 31, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I just compared a google search to a yahoo search using “53 chevy hot rod”. Yahoo returned a lot of images from the same three sites. Google gave a really good mix from several sites. I guess it depends on the search terms you’re using and, like Cath said whether people are adding irrelevant terms to searches. I really do like how google now has a lot more images per page, but I can see how that might be annoying to others.

• Colleen
    Wrote: Aug 2, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I like the new version, especially the mouse-over effect Google has implemented. I wonder if image theft will be on the increase, as it seems easier to copy images than before.

I didn’t find it any easier to copy images?