Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis

August 17th, 2010 by Rose DesRochers · 9 Comments

A child’s death is one of the greatest losses of all.

Somewhere today a woman is being told that her baby has a birth defect. She will then have to make the decision between terminating her pregnancy or continuing to carry full term despite the prenatal diagnosis.

As hard as it is for her to know that her child may be born stillborn or die shortly after birth, I hope she makes the decision to carry her baby to term.

My daughter was born with a congenital heart defect. At five weeks old, she died during surgery. Had I known before she was born that she had a birth defect I would have still carried her to term.

Even though her time on earth was short, she touched my life. I’m blessed to have carried her for 9 months. I’m so thankful I got to meet her rather than miss the opportunity of never knowing her. I was able to hold, love, care for and kiss my daughter for those five weeks. I blessed to have been able to hold her after her death. I was able to give her a proper burial and there is a graveside where I can visit her.

One of the greatest gifts I have been granted in life is my precious daughter Katie and I carry her memory with me everywhere I go.

My precious daughter is gone now, and I miss her terribly. I find comfort in knowing that Katie is in the arms of God. Both of my parents are with her, I know she is waiting for mommy to greet her again when God too has chosen me.

Those who are considering abortion may not realize that even a brief life lived offers so much.

Related post: Losing a Child – My Story

Tags: Inspiration
del.icio.us:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  digg:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  wists:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  simpy:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  blinklist:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  reddit:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  fark:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  blogmarks:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  Y!:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  magnolia:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis  stumbleupon:Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis

It will look like this: Carry Pregancy despite Prenatal Diagnosis

• Shawn DesRochers
    Wrote: Aug 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I agree with Rose!

If we would have taken the other path iin life we wouldnt of had the oppertunity of meeting our beloved daughter katie.

Yes it was extremly hard to bare the burden of never knowing her better and only having a short time with her; but I wouldnt trade if for the world!

Shawn

• Colleen
    Wrote: Aug 17, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Good for you Rose. We value life as well and would never consider an abortion. I realize there is a big debate over this, but we stand firmly on the rights of both women and the rights of the unborn baby. They both have a right to live, and who are we to decide who should live or die. Your story is yet another reason to see a child live, even though but for a short moment.

• Moondancer
    Wrote: Aug 18, 2010 at 9:06 am

Hello Rose,
    Thanks for sharing your story. I can’t imagine what that was like, or how you must feel.

My cousin’s son was born with a birth defect. He’s now three years old. In many ways he’s your typical three-year old, he simply with some defects.

Even if I knew my seven-year old daughter was going to have a defect. I still would have wanted her. Abortion, is simply not an option I would consider.

• Jaime-Ann
    Wrote: Aug 18, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Rose this blog was/is beautiful. While I had a very high risk pregnancy the health of my daughter was not questioned by the doctors. I was blessed to have my daughter 3 weeks and 6 days prior to her ETA.

While I do not know what I would do if faced with the question and situation you described in this post. But I am sure my choice now (being a mom) as compared to being a first time mother would effect my choice.

I could not imagine terminating a pregnancy because of a “chance” something could be wrong or if born my child would need surgeries. If told there was going to be severe and traumatic complications I can’t say I know what I would do.

Some women are unable to carry a child no matter how hard they try to conceive…. that’s what I think about when I hear stories of careless people terminating pregnancies.

• LisaF
    Wrote: Aug 18, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Your story brought tears to my eyes in empathy for what you experienced. I applaud you for carrying her to term and not ending her life prematurely, hard as it was on you. I’m sure her life touched many hearts in ways only known to God.

Lisa, I had no knowledge during my pregnancy that Katie had a birth defect. It wasn’t seen in my ultrasound. It wasn’t actually noticed until about 2-3 weeks after her birth.

Had I known during my pregnancy though I would have still carried her to term.

• Kathy
    Wrote: Aug 18, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I didn’t know that about you. I am heartbroken.

I cannot imagine the pain you felt or still feel over your loss.

I agree with your position on carrying a baby full term. Think of the joy you had while holding her in your arms those first days. Many women miss out on that because of a decision they made.

• Ching Ya
    Wrote: Aug 19, 2010 at 9:07 am

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Rose. I believe a mother’s love for her child is indescribable and unconditional. Katie is blessed for having you as her mother, even for a short term. May we all treasure life, and love those around us when we still can.

@wchingya