Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens

September 1st, 2010 by Rose DesRochers · 65 Comments

A trend of revealing clothing for young girls

Most of today’s clothing styles for teen girls do nothing to promote modesty.

If you have a teen daughter in high school, her back-to-school shopping list may contain a pair of skinny jeans. They are apparently what is hot this school year.

Now a days it is nearly impossible to find pants that do not sit ridiculously low or extremely tight. Don’t get me started on skirts?

A skirt should cover your butt when you sit down and I don’t think it is ok for a 15 year old to be wearing a revealing top that shows off her cleavage.

Oh and tights are not pants, but tell that to a 16 year old. I’m not sure who started the trend, but seeing a young girl in white tights that leave nothing to the imagination is trashy.

Roxy Junior's Motor On Skinny Jean

Where are the parents? Why are they allowing their young girls to walk around like this?

When my daughter lived at home I recall many fights over clothing.

Now I realize that a small minority of parents might have no problem with the way their teenage daughter is dressing.

Then there is the percentage of parents who may not have a clue what their daughter is actually wearing once they leave the house . They may have prohibited their daughter from wearing certain clothing, only to have her change outfits once she leaves the house.

I recall one time when my daughter was in high school. My husband received a phone call from the school that she had been cutting class. He drove over to the school to find her in the hall wearing a skirt that didn’t cover her tush when she sat down. He was livid. My daughter did not leave the house like that or did she own the skirt she was wearing. She borrowed it from a friend. Needless to say my husband made her change.

I don’t know how many times she came home with shorts too short or inappropriate tops with sayings on them and we took them from her.

“Sexy” clothing such as thongs and lingerie is now manufactured in children’s sizes and marketed to tweens. I recall my daughter coming home from school at 13, telling me that most of the girls in her class were wearing thongs. 13?

I know from experience what a struggle it can be arguing with a furious thirteen-year-old who wants a pair of thongs ‘like all the other girls in her gym class” can sometimes seem like a battle not worth fighting. It can be difficult to say no when your daughter is begging you for that thong, but it’s your responsibility as a parent to say no.

Why are girls dressing this way though?

Girls may dress provocatively for a number of reasons, from wanting to fit in with her peers to wanting to appear older than she is or to attract attention from the opposite sex.

Clothing that is both sexy and provocative are being marketed to a much younger audience and more and more provocative clothing is being released each year.

Many of the children styles as well as teen styles look the same as the ones in the ladies wear section of department stores.

I recall last year hearing on the radio one mothers frustration to find a Halloween costume for her 12 year old daughter that wasn’t sexually provocative. (Then you have celebrity parents like the The Cyruses who allow their nine year old daughter to dress like this: Noah Cyrus’ Inappropriate Halloween Costume: Seriously?)

T-shirts including slogans such as ‘sex kitten’ and ‘flirt’ are now being made for girls as young as six. Primark is the latest British retailer to face criticism for making padded bikini tops for girls as young as seven.

Magazine websites like sugarscape.com run modeling competitions like are you 2010 most stylish teen, where girls can upload photos of them-self to be rated on.

If you can’t see that media encourage girls to believe that their appearance is based on their sexual attractiveness then you must be living on a rock or walking around blindfolded.

Before you go off on me, this isn’t just my opinion.

“The media is a huge influence to girls’ style of dress,” says Dr. Elizabeth Ward, a member of the American Pscyhological Association (APA)

The desire to fit in and belong is a common feeling amongst young girls and marketers know this.

CBC claims that, “Sex has always sold, but now its children that are buying. Tweens, kids aged eight to 14, are a hot target for companies. And now more than ever, sex is being used to get their dollars” (Buying into Sexy) CBC followed around a preteen for a day. When asked why young girls feel the need to dress sexy, the girl replied, “You get more attention and strange guys come up to you and try and get you to go to nightclubs.”

The fact that sex is being used to sell to young girls is very disturbing and I commented on that in my recent post “Sex in advertising.” Abercrombie and Fitch’s website has a A&F Lifestyle section that displays pictures of models in sexual poses.

In 2007, the American Psychological Association Task Force released a report examining the sexualization of young girls via the media.

The APA report noted several examples that they felt sexualized young women, including: Bratz dolls, Sexy lingerie, and Thongs aimed at young girls.

A website Mumsnet have launched a campaign called ‘Let Girls Be Girls’ and they have asked retailers to commit not to sell products which play upon, emphasize or exploit girls sexuality.

So the next time you see a young teenage girl wearing daisy duke shorts and a top that shows too much cleavage you can get mad at media for the sexualization of our children.

Related posts:

Sexualisation of young girls in fashion
The sexualization of girls

Tags: Daily Life
del.icio.us:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  digg:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  wists:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  simpy:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  blinklist:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  reddit:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  fark:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  blogmarks:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  Y!:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  magnolia:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens  stumbleupon:Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens

It will look like this: Provocative Fashion Trends and Teens

• Sire
    Wrote: Sep 3, 2010 at 12:30 am

@J.: OK J. I ask you then who washes the teen’s clothes. I’m pretty sure it would be mom and so if mom finds trashy clothes and doesn’t do anything about it then she is to blame.

Teens still need boundaries and it’s the parents job to set those boundaries. They think they know it all but they don’t otherwise they would be able to vote at 13.

Sire you said “They think they know it all, but they don’t otherwise they would be able to vote at 13.”

Just because you’re able to vote at 18, doesn’t mean you know everything now does it? I have met many adult who think they know everything. A sign of maturity is when you can admit than you don’t know everything and listen to someone who has been there before and may know something.

I also don’t recall J saying that he knew everything.

Oh and both my children started washing some of their own clothes around 14. My son does basically all of his own laundry now.

Wrote: Sep 3, 2010 at 12:48 am

It is the responsibility of the parent to nurture and help develop their children’s decision making skills, and value systems.

Rose ” As a child did you ever do anything against your parents approval?”

Steve “Of course I did, but never without having to face the consequences.”

So did your parents not nurture and help develop your decision making skills, and value system?

Wrote: Sep 3, 2010 at 12:57 am

There is no scientific evidence to prove tight jeans lead to infertility.

• Chris Nash
    Wrote: Sep 3, 2010 at 1:03 am

@J.: I just wanted to make sure I dropped a line to say how I’ve been following the comments on this post all day. Many thanks to J. for bringing in a contribution that, until then, hadn’t been included in this discussion. I find it rather amusing that a bunch of us ageing parents were happily having a discussion about involving our kids, without there being that perspective properly represented. J., thank you.

• J.
    Wrote: Sep 3, 2010 at 10:22 am

@Chris Nash: I’m glad I am appreciated; I think in order to properly debate any topic you need to have multiple views from all parties that it pertains too. Plus it is such a hot topic I could not resist, I had to contribute. So you are welcome, and thank you.

• J.
    Wrote: Sep 3, 2010 at 10:45 am

@Sire: Sire, I’m unsure as to where the “who washes the teen’s clothes”, comment came from? I never once said that it was not the job of the parent to discipline their child when they were in the wrong; I have also stated that after “the child has disobeyed their parent, and the parent has chosen to ignore the issue that the parents then fall into blame. I think everyone can agree on that?” I have also said this “you cannot put the blame on the parent, let me reword that… you can put the blame on the parent, but it doesn’t mean you are right. Where I work there is a nice rack with a large array of underwear options. Numerous times I have seen young girls purchase these undergarments without a parent with them. Yes the money may have been given to the child by the parent, but it does not mean that the parents bought them for their child; for the child made the initial purchase.” Never once did I say anything about not blaming the parents when they became aware of the situation and didn’t act upon it.

I also never said that teen do not need boundaries, I said that they were intellectual people, and that they were capable of making their own choices, but I also said that their parents were still part of that development. “They think they know it all but they don’t otherwise they would be able to vote at 13.” With that last line of your argument, you insinuated that I let on like I know everything? For I never once said I did, and I have not acted like I did, I merely shared my opinion and debated with those who I disagree with or who have invalid arguments. Lastly I am assuming that you are above the age of 18? Yes, I’m correct? With your last comment you said that if 13 year olds knew everything they would be able to vote at 13 and not 18. So I’m assuming you think you know everything? It was implied, not said directly but definitely there. Just a clarification, just because your 18 does not mean you have the mental state to make mature and intellectual choices such as voting, heck just because your 30 it still does not meant that you have the mentality or you are mature for your age.

• Sire
    Wrote: Sep 3, 2010 at 11:28 pm

@Rose DesRochers: No but they would know more than a 13 year old. Let’s face it, many teens just aren’t mature enough to make responsible decisions which is the parents job.

Sire, many teens are mature to make responsible decisions. When parents bestow some trust into their children they are giving them the opportunity to let them grow into responsible, independent adults that will make wise decisions.

• Jon
    Wrote: Sep 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Rose, the only thing I disagree with is your assessment that this is a small minority of parents. Unfortunately, this has become epidemic because it is NOT a small majority of parents anymore. Many (many) parents haven’t a clue and in fact are more worried about their precious child’s “right to freedom of speech/expression” than setting any kinds of rules. I agree with the commenter who said – “don’t argue with your kids over small things” – the problem is that we disagree over what is a “small thing”.

Getting young girls to dress sexy is plan wrong – study after study shows that parents who firmly and consistently set boundaries for their children (see Supernanny) on important behavior end up with BETTER behaved and more stable children – but yes, one must not be the “so strict parent that nothing is ok” – that backfires.

THERE IS A SIMPLE FIX FOR THIS – Parents don’t buy the clothes, schools – require school uniforms. DONE!

Parents don’t buy the clothes

Jon, have you not been following the entire discussion? Teens and even pre-teens buy clothing without adults present.

Schools – require school uniforms

Even if a child attends a school with a uniform policy in place there is always the weekend when they are out and about with friends.

As I think I have said Most of today’s clothing styles for teen girls do nothing to promote modesty.

Many parents today are concerned about the fashions available to preteens and teens. Some parents have even gone as far to boycott the companies.

• Margaret
    Wrote: Sep 6, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I quote from one of your commenters:”the parents are responsible (sometimes solely, sometimes in a shared way) for everything the child says, thinks, or does.” I’m a teacher and see lots and lots of young people and this statement makes my blood run cold. What kind of children are we supposed to rear–programmable robots who can be 100% controlled? Or perhaps children are actual human beings who do make mistakes in judgement ON THEIR OWN! Like all the rest of us. Good grief.

Amen Margaret.

• Sonal
    Wrote: Nov 4, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Wow! I’m amazed and barely even realized that today’s trends for children are dominated by the media. Thanks for sharing this post, I’m sure a lot of parents would relate to this helpless feeling of having their children wear ‘sexy’ clothing. It’s sad that childhood is no longer what it used to be.

• Hillary
    Wrote: May 5, 2011 at 9:55 am

I would have to agree when i do go to the mall I don’t see much of decent clothing for little girls other than the department stores, yet they are filled with the slutty clothes as well. So you kids want to wear what everyone else is wearing, but I just wish we could get back to the days were kids were kids, teenagers were teenagers adn adults adults. Why is there the need to grow up so quickly this world isn’t all it’s cracked up to be when you get old enough to understand it all.