Classic book covers on soft tees

November 10th, 2010 by Rose DesRochers · 29 Comments

How to Help an African School Child and get a cool t-shirt

To Kill a Mockingbird is a novel by Harper Lee published in 1960. Whenever I have to list my favorite books of all time ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ always makes my favorite list.

That is why I was so excited when I came across “Out of Print website” on Twitter. Out of Print celebrates the world’s great books like “To Kill a Mockingbird” through fashion.

Their T-shirts feature iconic and often out of print book covers and re-imagined graphics designed to inspire young adults to read classic books like “The Great Gatsby,” “The Outsiders,” and “To Kill a Mockingbird.”

I was sent the ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ tee shirt for review and all I can say is that a photo does not do the t-shirt justice.

Out of Print

The shirts are folded and packaged in clear bags.

Out of Print

What my son thought was really cool was the t-shirt comes with a a library card.

Out of Print

(Designed by designer Mikey Burton)

Turning classic book covers into inspirational t-shirts is a great idea. I wish I had of thought of it and you know what else is great?

You can give back while you shop.

Out of PrintBooks for Africa‘ for every single T-shirt they sell. Buy a shirt, give a book. It’s that simple. It’s a win-win situation. How could you go wrong?

Out of Print

For avid readers like my son this is the perfect place for you. My son could not wait to get the t-shirt on and wear it to school. He has already gone through the wide selection of t-shirts and sweaters at the ‘Out of Print website’ and chose several to add to his Christmas list. ( I best get out my wallet.)

Out of Print

Kids tees sell online from Out of Print for $22, with adult designs available for $28 each tee and $38 for sweatshirts. Literary art you can wear! How cool is that?

In this digital age, we have to keep the love of reading alive. Visit Out of Print today. Installing a love of reading in your child is one of the best gifts you can give them.

Are you on Twitter? Follow @OutofPrintTees.

A very special  thank you to “Out of Print” books for their friendly and excellent customer service.

Tags: Reviews
del.icio.us:Classic book covers on soft tees  digg:Classic book covers on soft tees  wists:Classic book covers on soft tees  simpy:Classic book covers on soft tees  blinklist:Classic book covers on soft tees  reddit:Classic book covers on soft tees  fark:Classic book covers on soft tees  blogmarks:Classic book covers on soft tees  Y!:Classic book covers on soft tees  magnolia:Classic book covers on soft tees  stumbleupon:Classic book covers on soft tees

It will look like this: Classic book covers on soft tees

• Margaret
    Wrote: Nov 11, 2010 at 12:48 am

They look like great quality tee-shirts and I love the colors! I remember those library cards–I’m so old. 🙂

They are excellent quality indeed. I’m so hooked. You are not old at all. lol

• Mrs. B.
    Wrote: Nov 11, 2010 at 1:27 am

I was just blogging today about the difference between objectionable content and harmful content, and how we should celebrate the objectionable. Besides being out of print, each of the book titles you listed here have been banned, somewhere, because someone thought they were “objectionable”. How awesome that this company celebrates that!

My book loving daughters will absolutely love these shirts, thank you so much for sharing the review!! The library cards are the BEST PART!

• Kim
    Wrote: Nov 11, 2010 at 2:15 am

Absolutely wonderful idea and I’m going to check out that website for sure! And the library card: what a great and clever touch! I wish kids would read more. Maybe an idea like this will inspire them a little. And, beautiful that they are giving back in that way. Thanks for this post!

I thought the card was a nice touch.

• Paul Novak
    Wrote: Nov 11, 2010 at 2:50 am

What a great idea. I agree, wish I had thought of it.

With so many growing up in this generation with no knowledge of these classic titles, it’s a really slick way to reintroduce them to a whole new group. Especially the interesting graphics and the unusual titles, when printed so boldly, are almost certain to elicit questions from curious peers.

Heck, the owners of the rights to these titles should pay Out Of Print Clothing an appreciation fee;

Amen to that.

• Bruce Sallan
    Wrote: Nov 11, 2010 at 9:27 am

Wow, Rose, we are ssoooooo on the same page as we support a school in Ghana by sending them books like these classics and others! What a great cause this is! Maybe we should get together (and what is the lyric to that reggae song…and ???).

“Repairing the World” is so important. I speak and write about this a lot. And every Sunday is “Faith Sunday” on my “A Dad’s Point-of-View” Facebook Page where I always assert that you ALWAYS get more back when you give!

Keep it up Rose! Good job, eh?

I think what they are doing is wonderful. You should buy that son of yours a shirt.

• Alison
    Wrote: Nov 11, 2010 at 11:03 am

I LOVE this site!! I’ve ordered two shirts from them – Fahrenheit 451 and Lolita – and wear them as often as possible. I’m actually on my way to purchase The Outsiders too 🙂 All they need is a shirt for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and I’ll be pumped!

That is great Alison.

• Karen Cruz
    Wrote: Nov 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Wow I remember library cards when I was in school. This is a great concept and way to celebrate literature’s great books and raise money for a cause.

It sure is. I wish I came up with it.

• Joe Hage
    Wrote: Nov 11, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for telling me about the site. I know a number of people who would appreciate it!

My pleasure Joe. Do pass it on.

• Madhav
    Wrote: Nov 12, 2010 at 1:54 am

The T-shirts from Out of Print website are really cool. I like them all.

Yeah it was hard picking my fav.

• Random Chick
    Wrote: Nov 12, 2010 at 7:12 pm

That is very cool. I will definitely go check out that web site. I wonder if they have, “Brave New World.”

I don’t think so but they have several great titles.

• Patricia@lavenderuses
    Wrote: Nov 13, 2010 at 12:50 am

Hi Rose

What a great idea. Although it was predicted the sale of books would go down with the digital age; here in Oz it is going up. Which is great cos the more children read, the better their grammar and spelling tends to be.

That’s one of my favourite books too. I probably read it not long after it was printed. Thanks for sharing Rose.

Patricia Perth Australia

I like the Outsider one too.

• VedetteTX
    Wrote: Nov 15, 2010 at 12:39 am

My homeschooling group is going to love this! I’m definitely getting a tshirt or two for my daughter and husband for the holidays!

That is great to hear.

• Alison Golden
    Wrote: Nov 15, 2010 at 12:57 am

My kids love to read but as I am not American and they are, I am a bit slow on the American classics. I rely on my husband for guidance and teaching. These look great tshirts and my kids would love them. Now perhaps if we could get some Dickens, Austen and Bronte, then I would be really happy…:)

@Alison Golden: They would make a perfect Christmas gift.

• Modern Gypsy
    Wrote: Nov 15, 2010 at 1:46 am

The t-shirts looks absolutely fantastic! I’ll be checking their website out and hoping that they deliver to India!!

• Peter McCartney
    Wrote: Nov 16, 2010 at 12:04 am

Out of Print and Books For Africa are to be commended. Yes, 22 million books sent to Africa since 1988 is quite an accomplishment with the shipping costs being a huge burden.

I’d liked what I saw, with “Death of a Saleman” kindling thoughts of, “Death of a Blogger.” Perhaps they’ll make a movie about that one day!

My son wants the Death of a Saleman shirt.

• Victoria
    Wrote: Nov 18, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Great book and such cool shirts! I love unique ideas.