Breast milk ice cream

February 28th, 2011 by Rose DesRochers · 10 Comments

Leave it to me to bring you something strange and considering this has gotten quite a bit of news coverage you may have already heard about it.

Icecreamists, an ice-cream parlour in London,  was  selling human breast milk ice-cream invented by  Matt O’Connor.

The ice-cream named “Baby Gaga” was selling for for $23 a scoop. The Baby Gaga recipe blends breast milk with Madagascan vanilla pods and lemon zest, which is then churned into ice cream.

Local government officials have now confiscated the ice cream amid concerns the dessert is unsafe. The ice cream is now being tested with the full cooperation of  the parlour marketing the dessert.

According to news “When the parlour launched the ice cream Friday, they said they had paid 15 women who donated their breast milk after health screening.”

What will they come up with next?

So what do you think: Would you eat the ice cream? Would you donate your milk?

Tags: Weird and Wacky News
del.icio.us:Breast milk ice cream  digg:Breast milk ice cream  wists:Breast milk ice cream  simpy:Breast milk ice cream  blinklist:Breast milk ice cream  reddit:Breast milk ice cream  fark:Breast milk ice cream  blogmarks:Breast milk ice cream  Y!:Breast milk ice cream  magnolia:Breast milk ice cream  stumbleupon:Breast milk ice cream

It will look like this: Breast milk ice cream

Wrote: Feb 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm

1. theoretically yes
    2. n/a

• Margaret
    Wrote: Feb 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Yuck. I’m curious about it but doubt that I would try it.

• steven papas
    Wrote: Mar 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm

that was quite newsworthy Rose, thanks. Although breast milk is highly nutricious I wouldn’t dare try it. 🙂

• Peter McCartney
    Wrote: Mar 1, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Even though they say “breast is best”, I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot breast pump!

• Ari Herzog
    Wrote: Mar 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Seems that the ice cream guys are now being sued by Lady Gaga… http://blog.theicecreamists.com/2011/03/lady-gag-va-the-icecreamists/

Thanks for this weird news, Rose!

Thanks for the news.

• LisaF
    Wrote: Mar 11, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oddly, this disturbs me. My biggest question is why on earth would a woman donate her breast milk for ice cream instead of providing it for her (or another) infant. Seems like this would be a much better use of it.

• Patricia@lavender oil
    Wrote: Mar 20, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Hi Rose

Seems ages since I have been over here or chatted to you on Twitter. Hope things are going well for you.

Having been a midwife and worked in neonatal units, I believe the breastmilk would be better used to feed premature babies.

Seems like it is a gimmick or advertising stunt for the icecream parlour! And no I wouldn’t buy one.

Patricia Perth Australia

• Ned Carey
    Wrote: Apr 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I wouldn’t be afraid to give it to a child that was breast feeding as a treat but there is no way I would eat it.

• socpiter
    Wrote: May 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Ice-cream for a child from pectoral milk ?? The first time I hear. My child already grew from this age therefore to make
    to attempt indoors but at me there is a girl-friend at which child as one time this age.